When I woke up and looked at Runner, he was lying VERY still with his tongue sticking out of his mouth...yep, you know what I was thinking.
Shew! Guess he just had a dry mouth...he was fine...just his typical lethargic self.
He laid there in that same spot while I took the other dogs outside, fed them breakfast, let them romp and play, had coffee, came back in, took a shower...Runner is still lying there, completely still with the exception of the occasional coughing and sneezing spell (which sounds absolutely horrible!)
I once again brought in some canned food (the quality good stuff too...the stuff my guys love) and he wouldn't touch it. I offered water, which he happily lapped up.
Dave and I decided that we really didn't feel comfortable leaving the little guy alone yet, so I packed him up with a dog bed and took him to the office :-)
The poor guy was so sick that no one even noticed he was behind my desk...he never moved until he had to go potty. He got up and walked away from the bed - I took him out and he peed. So I guess that's his "sign" that he needs to "go" - he just gets up to go!
My friend and co-worker brought him a McDonald's hamburger at lunch time....Runner REALLY likes hamburger! I was so happy to find that he does have an appetite and he does like to eat...just not dog food I guess. Which is fine by me - he just needs to eat something. He is so frail and unsteady on his feet.
After the work day we went home and Runner hangs out in his "den" while I care for the rest of the crew upstairs. While I was up there I made 2 lb of hamburger with scrambled eggs and rice so that we would have some prepared meals for Runner for a few days. I portioned it out in sandwich bags and froze them so we can just pop them in the microwave at feeding time.
This is wonderful that he will eat this from his dish now, as I can hide the Clavomox and also a multi-vitamin blend for dogs to boost their immune system. He really perked up when I came downstairs with his dinner...he ate the whole thing and was looking for more! Of course I didn't want to bloat his stomach by feeding too much too soon...but I am going to increase his feedings to 3x a day until we get his weight on track.
What a sweet and wonderful boy he is...I so hope that he recovers long enough to enjoy life with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment