Friday, January 30, 2009



Hello Runner Fans :-)

I’ve been trying to keep up with Runner’s Blog so that we can track his progress and there are a few out there who like to be kept in the loop.

He is really looking much better – his eyes are brighter, he is moving around more, and he stays AWAKE longer ;-)

He now barks and carries his tail over his back just like a Shih Tzu! He wags his tail when he’s happy – that really makes my heart sing because his little tail just hung down low for the whole first week because he felt so awful.

Runner has taken quickly to being spoiled…he barks at me if I try to leave without him now…it’s kinda cute, but I will be working on that to make sure he doesn’t develop (or have) separation anxiety. That can be an awful thing for a dog (and for their people!)…some dogs will inflict self harm from the anxiety of being left alone. I have started desensitizing him to it by gradually leaving for longer and longer periods and sometimes leaving and then coming right back inside, etc.

Aside from this morning’s breathing attack…or whatever it was…he’s really coming along quickly. (more details on that below)


He rarely coughs these days...maybe once or twice a day and not at all through the night. He has not needed the Torbutrol medicine since a ½ tablet on Monday morning!

Unfortunately for him, if he continues to feel this good, he may win himself a bath this weekend – gasp! :-O I really hate to do that to him, but he so desperately needs it...He smells like a Frito!

I brought Runner to work with me again today...I just wasn't real comfortable leaving him alone all day yet. He has been doing so wonderful, becoming more and more mobile and rarely coughing at all.

Then this morning....he had a horrible breathing attack or what ever it was..it wasn't coughing it was more like gasping! It seemed to last forever, but was likely about 2 or 3 minutes. The poor thing was gasping and gasping, then acted like he was trying to cough something up, then gasping more. I was getting scared and didn't know what to do for him. I tried putting my fingers over his nostrils, as this works when my Shih Tzu has an attack - but they never last this long and it did not work for Runner. By the time he settled he was doing that thing that babies do after they've cried so hard for a long time...that sad and pitiful little sound. He's now sleeping...guess it wore his little body out. He had just finished eating and having some water a few minutes prior...I don't know if something went down wrong and got caught or just a coincidence...it was very scary though and I sure hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence and I hope it isn't part of his heart issue progressing. I'm glad he wasn't home alone.


Runner stayed home without me or Dave for the first time yesterday :-( Dave's son (David) was home for most of the day, but when I left for work and had to leave that little bewildered face it just broke my heart. He was only alone for about 4 hours before David returned home for the day, so hopefully he wasn't sad for too long. He now roams into David's room sometimes if the door is open; he just lies there and hangs out with him while he's on the computer. I guess it's a bit quieter in there. He really hates it when I leave the house. Last night I was on my way out to take my border collie to his agility class and Runner stood up on the sofa and barked at me! He did not want me to leave! It was very cute. When I returned he was equally happy to see me...it's so great to see him wag his tail :-)

Runner really gave miss Buffy a talking to last night! Buffy is the 4 1/2 month Lhasa Poo foster pup, who thinks the world revolves around her and likes to body bump into the other dogs and get them stirred up. Obviously, we try to manage her when Runner is out and about, but she ran into him last night and he spun around, and growled, barked and snapped at her a few times! Woo Hoo! - You go Old Man Runner! :-) She didn't care, but I followed up with another talking to and she got a time out for it. There is no body bumping into the little dogs in our house...mama does not allow it!

Keep your fingers crossed that Runner will wake up refreshed and breathing freely today.



More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment