I have "a thing" for small fuzzy dogs...I like to take them in and care for those in need...nourish them, train them if needed, help them find their spirit again, and then find a GOOD and FOREVER home for them. Once they go to their forever home, I find another or sometimes they find me.Runner came to an SPCA as a "Stray Relinquish" in December of 2008 (for the 2nd time in less than 2 years). I saw him on their website on January 16th and inquired about him and if he had a prospective home yet. (Toy breeds do not usually fair so well in the shelter environment...actually, it is quite stressful for any breed or size of dog, but some are more resilient than others.) The nice lady at the shelter emailed me back on her next shift and said, "Please rescue this sick baby." At the time of my inquiry, I didn't know he was sick.
We continued with some correspondence so that I could get some more background before committing to taking him in. My dogs are young and the dogs I've fostered have been either young or very healthy seniors. I knew I was biting off a lot, both emotionally and financially. About the time I committed, she told me he was going "down hill" and would let me know what their vet says about it. - Ugh...my heart just sunk.
She contacted me a few hours later and said, "our vet examined him, his heart is really bad, but he wants to give him a chance. Can you rescue him?" - Uhm, that was a no-brainer at this point...I had to try to help him.
I drove to the shelter after work that same day to pick up Runner in hopes that he would have a better chance at recovery in a warm, quiet, and loving home.
As it turns out, Runner has a grade 5 heart murmur, had 11 teeth extracted the week before due to their severe condition (rotten and painful), and then within a couple of days after the surgery, he developed a horrible cough and became lethargic. Needless to say, he wasn't eating well either and is very thin and weak.
The staff at the shelter were so wonderul...they are still emailing me each day to get an update, "How's Runner? Is he eating? Is he still coughing? Please let us know." One of the men had tears in his eyes as he thanked me for taking Runner home...everyone that walked by us thanked me, knew Runner's name and had something kind to say.
I decided to start a blog for those who are interested in his progress and also for myself, to track his progress, and I suppose a little piece of me is hopeful that we will look back at the early entries one day and say "Look how much better you are!"
Runner is one of God's creatures; I am a helper, but it's really all in His hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment