Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One Month with Runner (aka RB!)

Well, it's been a whole month already, and our little Runner-Bug (aka RB) continues to progress every day.

I cannot remember the last time he coughed...though he does insist on watching me primp in the mornings and the hairspray makes him sneeze! He sneezed so hard the other day that he hit his poor little head on the floor, so now I make him sit on the bed...he can still see me if he stays on the end ;-)

RB has also learned that he is pretty much in charge of me and Dave....yes, he now barks continuously until you figure out what he wants. Don't get me wrong though - it's really not a big deal since he doesn't want much in life. You can pretty much bank on him wanting one of 3 things 1) off of the sofa or bed (since it's too high for him to jump down onto hardwood floors) 2) Potty Outside or 3) FOOD!!

Apparently RB had a previous life of being fed from the table because now that he is strong enough. He selects a victim (or family member) for each meal and then parks himself practically under your chair and waits. After waiting with no attention for a bit, he will start making groveling sounds that eventually escalate into a bark. At this point, we all laugh - because we are just so thrilled that he has gotten this healthy. If he still gets no attention, he is now strong enough to stand on his frail little hind legs and paw at your leg!! Now, I realize this is bad behavior for a dog...and I do not allow it from any of my own or any of my foster dogs, but it thrills me to see RB doing it. I can't wait to weigh him again...he has been eating three meals a day for the past month. I think he feels more solid now, but it could just be me wanting him to be.
There is no denying that he is stronger though; I actually saw him RUN up the hill and into the house from outside the other day!

The downside is that he still smells like a Frito and he still has mats that will need to be cut out of his hair. He has really suckered me into letting him getaway without a bath all this time, but I'm afraid we cannot wait any longer...this weekend will be the end of the Frito smell!

A local kennel club is hosting a health clinic this Saturday. They offer it every year, so whenever I need titers or blood work, etc. for my own dogs, we go during the clinic. Since there was still time to register, I went ahead and registered Runner for a full senior work up so that we can see if there is anything else going on with him besides his enlarged heart.

I have put RB up on Petfinder to see if there is a perfect match out there waiting for him. We won't let him go just anywhere...it really needs to be perfect for him. I think his "ideal home" would be a quiet home with a mature person or couple that spends most of their time at home. It can be expensive to keep up with a senior dog's health, so that will be something to consider when screening his applicants. And of course, it would have to be someone who wouldn't mind cooking for him once a week (We cook one large batch and freeze it in meal portions to last all week). He just loses too much weight if you serve him strictly dog food...even with EVO, a smelly canned food, he barely picks at it. Maybe once his weight is stable, we can try to wean him back to a quality dog food - but if not, I figure he's been through enough in his nearly 10 years and if he can't find a home that will cook his meat and rice, then he can just stay with us. I did have one inquiry about him so far, but all it asked was "how much is his fee?" Those type of inquiries turn me off right away...if it's first and foremost about the money, then you aren't the right home for one of my dogs.

Well, that's all for now. Just wanted to let everyone know that the little fella is doing just fine and seems to enjoy life again. I will try to get new pics this week...particularly of bath time ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment